Translate

Friday, February 17, 2012

Quilt Along # 6 Stippling in sashing and borders

Lets Go Fly a Kite ~ Quilt Along # 6
What fun it was quilting this baby quilt "Let's go fly a kite"!    I made two quilt tops when we were expecting our first grandchild.  We did not know if we were having a girl or a boy, and every quilting gramma has to get a few quilts ready for the new arrival, right?  Oh the joy when our grandson arrived, and his quilt top was finished right away. 
Quilt Along # 6 was the perfect assignment to finish this little girls quilt top.  There is small scale stippling around the kites that travels into the sashing.  I LOVED the pattern Leah taught us for working our way around the motifs and into the sashing and will use it again in my quilting.  There is large scale stippling in the swiss dot lavendar border.  I found I had a hard time going from the small scale, which is what I am used of doing with the cloth baby books and bibs I often make, and had to concentrate to keep it large and even.  Really enjoying quilting along with Leah each week, and it has been a pleasure getting to know her and the other quilters who are stitching each week with us.


Since they were infants, a favorite thing to do when I am with my grandchildren is to look out the window and talk about all the wonderful things the world has to offer as we wonder what plans God has for them. I remember the days of making kites with my dad from balsam wood, tissue paper and newspaper; you knew we were ready for the first test flight when we began tearing scraps of cotton fabric to tie on the tail and bows for balancing the kite.   I can still remember my small hands (appearing even smaller as I worked inside of dads hands) and getting all tangled in the long strings of freshly torn cotton.  There was so much laughter and joy flying those kites with my brothers as they twirled high in the sky till they spun so fast they crashed onto the ground.


 The center of the quilt has three kites, two motifs are stitched on either side of the kite, surrounded by the small scale stippling in the clouds which travels into the four colors of the sashing. 
The folded corner reveals the backing, adorable Precious Moments characters floating in the clouds. Do you see the three kites Now? These motifs were added to appear they were further away as you look out the window!
Close up of the colorful kite! 
One day I hope to fly kites with my grandchildren..

1 comment: